Jennifer Terry is a partner in the Labor & Employment practice group. Her civil litigation practice focuses on management employment defense, particularly in California and federal cases involving disability, race, age, and gender discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and wrongful termination.
Jennifer has extensive experience counseling both foreign and domestic entities that do business in California in an outside general counsel role. In that capacity, she provides guidance on employment matters, such as wage-hour compliance and employee handbooks. She has significant experience drafting commercial contracts, such as supply, distribution, and indemnity agreements. Jennifer is familiar with the legal hurdles facing Latin American entities seeking to enter the U.S. market, and is a fluent Spanish speaker.
Jennifer has successfully defended major entertainment companies, nationwide restaurant chains, and multinational entities in litigation through summary judgment, mediation, and favorable settlement on numerous matters, including:
- defense of a major entertainment and theme park employer in multiple actions under California’s FEHA alleging:
- age and disability discrimination, retaliation, harassment and constructive termination;
- national origin discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination; and
- disability discrimination, failure to engage in the interactive process and constructive termination.
- defense of national quick-serve Chinese food restaurant in action alleging sexual harassment under California’s FEHA.
- defense of national quick-serve fried chicken restaurant in multiple actions
- alleging pregnancy and race discrimination under FEHA; and
- before California’s Labor Commissioner for failure to pay final wages.
- defense of Mexican finance company in action alleging sexual harassment.
- defense of law firm in action alleging disability, race and gender discrimination under FEHA.
Select outside general counsel work includes:
- Advising food division of a global confectionery company, reviewing all supply, distribution, indemnity and non-disclosure agreements for its rice, organic foods and seeds businesses.
- Advising and coordinating legal advice for preeminent Mexican automobile financing company on all aspects of its business plan in the United States.
Jennifer also first chaired a federal court action under 42 U.S.C. 1983 for use of excessive force against the City of L.A. and the LAPD on behalf of an incarcerated prisoner.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Jennifer served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable J. Thomas Greene in the US District Court for the District of Utah. She also worked in the Office of General Counsel of the University of Utah.
Jennifer is a certified TAP Attorney/Volunteer Prosecutor through the L.A. County Bar Association, and is an active member of the Pro Bono Panel for the United States District Court, Central District of California. Jennifer currently serves as the President of the Board of Directors for the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus.
Publications, Presentations and Recognitions
Jennifer received the 2010 Outstanding Lawyer award for the J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Los Angeles Chapter.
Her speaking engagements include:
“Social Media Update,” 2012 California Employment Law Review, December 6, 2012
Life Beyond the Law
Jennifer loves to spend time with her husband and three children. She believes she will never be too old to be a die-hard concert goer (her kids disagree).
Prior to law school, Jennifer lived in Argentina and Ecuador for several years, and she speaks fluent Spanish.